Sugar is sugar is sugar, right?
Some sugar happens to be better for you than others. Here we are going to weigh out the pros and cons of sugar and you can decide for yourself!
- Antioxidant protection
- Some sources of sugar, such as chocolate bars provide antioxidants, which are chemicals that help to neutralize some of the harmful chemical reactions occurring as part of our metabolism and during exposure to pollutants. In other words, Chocolate can help keep our insides from rusting.
- The feel good factor
- Tell me, what makes your happier, eating celery or a handful of cotton candy? Sugar increases brain levels of several chemicals that create a happy buzz in the brain AKA a sugar rush.
- Contains small amounts of caffeine
- Small amounts of caffeine are good for boosting fat metabolism and increasing awareness. Candies such as chocolate bars also contain 10 times less caffeine then an average cup of coffee, which keeps people from over indulging in caffeine.
- People describe sugar as empty calories even though we need them to survive. However, when people overindulge in the sweet treats is when the calorie count seems to rise. As long as this isn’t a reoccurring event, a little sugar here and there wont hurt.
- Mood swings
- Sugar can also cause swings in levels of endorphins – brain chemicals that affect mood. This can, in turn, produce mood swings as well as carbohydrate cravings.
- This is a myth!! There is not a lot of supported evidence that sugar causes acne, so it is assumed that the acne is cause by hormonal fluctuations.
Tips to deal with the cons!
- Eat sugar after dinner when you are less likely to overindulge
- Learn to savor the lingering memory of each bite before immediately devouring the next
- Make sure to wash your face every night